Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Festive Lanterns

I seen this in a Taste of Home magazine I got in the mail and thought it sounded simple and cheap to do,

what you need:


* glass jar whatever size you can find (I used left over Spaghetti jars)
*Mod Podge
*tissue paper
*cheapo paint brush or sponge
* ribbon
*tea light candle ( I used fake tea lights )

First I measured and cut  the tissue paper I would be putting on the jar to size.
Then I coated the glass jar with mod podge and carefully wrapped the tissue paper around it.
NOTE: once the tissue paper is on don't try to move it, it will tear, just pat it down. don't worry about lumps.
 I have quite a few lumps and bubbles no worries....
Next you will put a coat of mod podge over the tissue paper, again don't brush to hard it will tear
be generous and coat all of it.  After I coated it I wrapped my ribbon around the top.
Then I set them upside down on a plate to dry (overnight) since I did the bottom.
you will know when they are dry they won't be tacky and the mod podge will have turned clear.


I found these at our local Wal-mart and thought that would be perfect, but you can use regular tea light candles.

There you go I'm going to make a few more.  Like a white one to mimic a ghost and a orange one for a pumpkin.  You can print out faces for those at  http://www.tasteofhome.com/lantern just cut them out and paste them on with the mod podge.


Happy crafting!!!

3 comments:

  1. I like it! I have the same scrap book paper --- and we are having spaghetti tonight --- hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! sooo super cute and I have a bunch of jars laying around and even those lights too! thanks for sharing stopping by from get your craft on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea so cute and by using leftover jars its green! You should link it up to my reuse party!
    http://www.lifelovegreen.com/2010/10/green-challenge-reuse-week-3/

    ReplyDelete