Monday, October 4, 2010

Easy peasy chili recipe

The other night I made my first batch of chili for the season.  I have been searching for an easy recipe that doesn't take a lot of time to whip up (since I have two little ones that need tending to, typically when dinner is being prepared).  Along with being fast I didn't want to have to use kidney beans BLEH. Also diced tomatoes (my preference) I'm really picky.  I wish I could remember where I found it but I haven't the slightest clue.

This is what you will need:  (sorry pictures may not be the greatest)

2lbs ground beef

1 onion
1 bell pepper
3(15oz) cans pinto beans
2(28oz) cans diced tomatoes(optional)

2(16oz) cans tomato sauce

3 jalapenos (optional)

1/2 cup chili powder

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

The first thing on my list was to mince everything, It's up to you how finely chopped you want everything I like it small.  I didn't use all three jalapenos I did two and it was a little spicy so if you don't like a lot of heat then maybe just one.  If it's still too spicy add a little sugar (it worked for me).

After that I started cooking my hamburger and mixed in the onion, bell pepper, and jalapenos. When fully cooked go ahead and drain meat ( I use 93% ground beef, so I don't usually have to drain anything)


Now stir in beans, tomatoes(optional), tomato sauce, chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. 

Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat.  Simmer chili for at least 30min stirring occasionally. I them put mine in the crock pot to simmer for several hours.


Now after 30 min its done, or you could let it simmer for several hours.  I've had it both ways and it tastes good either way.  Serve and Enjoy with you favorite toppings. 

Like I said before I'm picky and plain Jane so I like mine with a little cheese and some crackers!



Enjoy!!!



1 comment: